Researches on Machine Translation at Nanjing University
We began our researches on Machine Translation(MT) in 1980s. In 1990, we developed the first Japanese-Chinese Machine Translation System in China. Since then, our researches have been continuously supported by Chinese 863 High-Tech Project funds. By now, our Japanese-Chinese MT system is still the best one in China. Below is the list of our main research results.
1. A Japanese-Chinese Machine Translation Engine
· Basic Dictionary: 60,000 words
· Dictionary in Computer Area: 40,000 words
· Translation Speed: 3,000,000 Japanese Characters/Hour(PIII 600)
· Written in C++, in the forms of Windows DLL and UNIX libraries
· Readability: 70% (or above)
2. An On-line Japanese-Chinese Translation Web Browser。
· An IE(Microsoft Internet Explorer) style Web Browser which can show the corresponding translated Chinese page when browsing a Japanese web page.
· Most of IE's functions are included.
· Japanese web pages with different character sets(JIS,Shift-JIS and EUC-JIS) are acceptable。
3. A Supporting System for Japanese-Chinese Translation。
· Automatic Japanese to Chinese translation
· Pre and post editing of Japanese and Chinese
· Automatic phrase and sentence alignment between Japanese and Chinese
· Files with different character sets(JIS,Shift-JIS,EUC-JIS,GB,BIG5 and UNICODE) are acceptable.
4. An Electronic Japanese-Chinese Dictionary
· 100,000 classified Japanese words with Chinese interpretations